After a successful introduction in 2020, Diesel, will return with another instalment of Diesel Denim Fridays (DDF) – ‘The Sound of Denim’. A project that was well received locally for discovering, empowering as well as promoting rising DJs.
Diesel believes the DDF online platform will continue to embrace its digital approach and will be embarking on a nationwide search to find the next ultimate DJ and winner of the DDF initiative.
In addition, this season for the first-time emerging DJs will be able to submit their entries online during a specific period.
The brand has enlisted some of South Africa’s heavyweights for the initiative led by Shimza and last year’s DDF winner Judy Jay, considered Diesel’s ‘SUPERHERO DJ’s.
These two will be supported by the ‘HERO DJs’: Oscar Mbo representing Johannesburg, Malankane representing Pretoria, Dj Le Soul representing Durban and, Mshayi & Mr Thela representing Cape Town.
“As a brand, It is such an honour to be part of a bigger cause that gives emerging DJs the opportunity to showcase their talent and be the face of Diesel Denim Fridays”
expresses Derik Van Wyk, Marketing Manager for Diesel South Africa.
Those HERO DJS will be part of the mentorship of the chosen finalists and will decide the overall DDF 2021 winner.
They will have a monthly task of selecting a set of three emerging DJs per region to be given the DDF platform as a way to showcase their talent. All mixes produced by the emerging DJs will be streamed through a dedicated DDF website.
The public will be able to stream, listen, download and vote for their favourites once all the mixes are live. From there, the Hero DJs will select an overall finalist from their region.
The finalists will be vying to win a life-changing opportunity and join their Heroes at the top.
The finalists will be in the running to win the title of Diesel Denim Friday Champion and will receive a cash prize of R50 000 and mentorship from the resident DDF HERO DJs.
Diesel Denim Fridays (DDF) began as a way for Diesel to bring South Africans’ love for music to the forefront of the brand’s local community.
What started out as a simple way to entertain Diesel customers in store, has now evolved into a national initiative where the Diesel brand hopes to empower emerging DJs through the DDF platform.
For more information on this competition and how to enter, make sure to check out www.dieseldenimfriday.co.za. The competition will run from September 2021 to the end of December 2021.
How it works:
- There will be a call to enter via the Diesel Denim Friday’s website where emerging DJ talent can enter their details and upload a link to their mix on www.dieseldenimfriday.co.za
- The HERO DJ’s will then sift through all entries and choose 5 finalists each from their city (CPT, JHB, DBN, PTA) to come up with the top 20.
- The various finalists will stream live from a Diesel store in their city every Friday as the voting process continues, and the streams will also be uploaded on the @dieselsa social media pages and the public can watch their favourite finalist and vote via the Diesel Denim Friday’s website.
- A top 10 will then be chosen after the votes are tallied and voting will continue until there is a top 5.
- The 5 finalists will be supported by the HERO DJs to improve and edits their final mixes, which will be then voted by the public, the SUPERO HERO AND HERO DJs to identify the one and only winner.